Friday 12 January 2018

Forever Friday: Sen-Chan


#1 here. I can hardly believe it but it was nine years ago, in early January, that we suddenly lost Sen-Chan (aka "Poupounet"). We discovered almost at the last moment that he had FeLV. Sen-Chan was Tommy's first kitty friend, and he was the sweetest boy ever. We would like to remember him in today's post.

Warning bells did go off a little when I first visited the breeder and saw Sen-Chan. He had a cold and a clear problem in one of his eyes. But he climbed up my arm and nuzzled my neck. What could I do? He came home with me.

This was the day I met him:


He came home and we went straight to Dr. C who said he had cat flu and put him on antibiotics and cortisone. He started rallying pretty quickly, and even started to play:


Tommy had not yet come but he quickly made friends with Madrac, TOWCB Fernant:


He settled in and was pretty relaxed!

  

Tommy arrived a month after Sen-Chan and the two hit it off immediately!
 



Sen-Chan had a lovely first Christmas:


He was a happy boy!
 

This picture was taken about 10 days after we first started blogging!


I don't know how I figured it out, but I guessed that Sen-Chan was a cat I could let outside. He loved being outside and always stuck close to Tommy:





But there seemed to be something missing from his life and, several times, I found him heading to the "Fairy Tree". I have always believed that this tree is a doorway between worlds. He would go up to it and stare intently:


It was a stretch, perhaps, but I decided that he needed a kitty companion, and that is how little Tama came into our lives. At first, she wasn't too sure about Sen-Chan:
 

But she quickly realised how very sweet he was, and how well he would look after her:



Sen-Chan had remained prone to all kinds of infections over the time he was with me, and Dr. C had always made him well again. Around Christmas 2008, he had what seems like a bit of a cold and an eye infection. Dr. C put him on antibiotics and eye drops. I had to leave soon after Christmas as my nephew was getting married and family was gathering in England. I had very nice house-sitters from Australia and left not feeling too worried. In early January, I got a frantic call from the sitters to let me know he was very unwell and they had taken him in to the vet. I called Dr.C who told me she had run a blood test and found he had FeLV. As we talked she was called to the back. Sen-Chan had just had a massive heart attack and died. It had never even occurred to her to test him as cats from proper breeders should always be FeLV free. I was heartbroken, but Tama-Chan was completely lost. It was Tommy who took over and looked after her in one of the loveliest shows of love I have ever seen.

This is one of the last photos I took of Sen-Chan, with Tama:


And that is the story of Sen-Chan who, with Tommy, started this blog, and who will always remain in our hearts. He lived only 18 months but I would like to think he was very happy here. His portrait, by the very talented Kathleen Coy, hangs in my bedroom alongside that of Yuu-Chan who also died of FeLV:


Sen-Chan on the right, Yuu-Chan on the left.

16 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for this wonderful friend...I often think HRM was so right with her saying that we pay with tears for love... but it is not fair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How heartbreaking for you - and I am sad reading about Sen-Chan too. That is why I fight for responsible breeders. This kind of thing should never have to happen to people who bring a breed cat into their lives... and it happened to you twice. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely tribute to sweet Sen-Chan.
    We have no doubt that he loved every minute he had with you.HUgs <3
    Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this lovely tribute with us. Sen-Chan was surely blessed to have you, Tommy, and Tama-Chan in his life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful tribute.Even though Sen-Chan had such a short life, you filled it with love and caring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so sad to loos a sweetie and even sadder when it is so unexpected. Thanks for sharing that beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely tribute to Sen-Chan. Who knows, if it hadn't been for him you might not have started blogging and made so many friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for you loss, and I think Sen-Chan's fairy tree is remarkable! His soul probably still flits around that tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just because Sen-can was unwell from kittenhood , didn't mean that he didn’t deserve to loved and love him you did. You and Tommy and Tama managed to squeeze a lifetime of love and happiness into the few short months given to him. His loss was a terrible tragedy but the greater tragedy would have been not to have had him in your life at all.
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to misspell his beautiful name. I have been fighting with blogger all day to get a post out: they keep vanishing.
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sen-Chan was a sweet cat! I remember him when I first started to read your blog and was sad when he passed. I LOVE the fairy tree and the paintings! He was special!
    Love Barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sen-Chan was a beauty, and we know he holds a very special place in your heart. It must have been so sad to lose him so suddenly. It is always hard to lose a beloved furry, but Mom finds it especially difficult when the pet is so young and it happens so quickly.

    Hugs and Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sen-Chan left this world far too soon. Purrs....

    ReplyDelete
  14. You brought each other joy in the short time you were together. Purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Juste pour dire que laisser un commentaire cohérent est au dessus de mes forces. Trop de larmes. Tout ça est tellement injuste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sad story ! Sen-Chan had a very short life, too short, but we're glad to see that he spent it surrounded with love. Purrs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog! We love getting comments.